6.32 million Americans (excluding military) live in 160-plus countries.
If all these Americans were placed in one state it would be the 17th most populous state in the U.S.!
Click on the continents for the "Top Ten" countries.
New Government Estimate of Overseas Americans
The State Department has recently* shared its current estimates of the number of US citizens not affiliated with the US Government who are resident abroad, by region. The total is the highest released to date: close to 6.32 million.
Because Americans residing outside the United States are not counted in the US censuses, this estimate, as all “counts” of Americans abroad, is based on a limited amount of data combined with intelligent guesswork.
The estimated figures, by region, are:
- Africa: 171,000
- East Asia and Pacific: 864,000
- Europe: 1,612,000
- Near East: 870,000
- South Central Asia: 212,000
- Western Hemisphere: 2,591,000
- For a total of 6,320,000
* Unofficial estimates from the U.S. Department of State in late 2011.
FATCA in the News
- Four Ways to Get FATCAed
- FATCA Losing Its Way
- Overseas Americans: Time to Say 'Bye' to Uncle Sam?
- From 'The Hill': FATCA, a Simple Premise Gone Terribly Wrong', co-authored by AARO Board Member Victoria Ferrauge
- How to Lose Friends, Citizens and Influence (July 18)
- Letter from Congressman Bill Posey to Treasury Secretary Lew, questioning the feasibility of FATCA implementation
- Reed-Schumer Amendment on "Ex-Citizen Tax Dodgers"